St. Patrick’s Day-Themed Crafts for Kids!
March 8, 2016 Jessica 0 Comments
St. Patrick’s Day is almost here! One of the best ways to celebrate this fun holiday is by making St Patrick’s Day-themed arts and crafts with your kids. But, before your youngsters start creating art, they should know a little bit about St. Patrick and the day that celebrates his life. If you’re unfamiliar with the history of this saint, let us share with you some fun facts about him/his holiday so that you can share them with your kids.
— St. Patrick’s Day is always celebrated on March 17th. It is celebrated every year.
— St. Patrick’s Day is a national holiday, but in Ireland it is also a holy day.
— Because he brought Christianity to Ireland, St. Patrick is the patron saint of the beautiful country that is visited each year by so many.
— It is traditional (and fun!) to wear green on St. Patrick’s Day.
— Shamrocks are symbolic of this special holiday. According to the article About St. Patrick’s Day, here’s why: “Saint Patrick used a shamrock to explain about God. The shamrock, which looks like clover, has three leaves on each stem. Saint Patrick told the people that the shamrock was like the idea of the Trinity, that in the one God there are three divine beings: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. The shamrock was sacred to the Druids, so Saint Patrick’s use of it in explaining the trinity was very wise.”
Once you’ve explained a bit about this wonderful holiday to your little ones, let the creating begin!
St. Patrick’s Day-Themed Crafts for Kids
A quick Google search will yield many art-project tutorials themed around St. Patrick’s Day. Here are a just a few fun, cheap, easy-to-make art projects…
- Online Paint by Numbers – Are you on the go? People on the go appreciate SegPlay Mobile – the quickest, coolest, and fastest way to paint by numbers on your iPhone, iPad or Android device. Perfect for coloring of all ages. Find Leprechaus sets here.
- Coloring pages – Do your kids love coloring? If so, simply print a few coloring pages designed with St. Patrick’s Day in mind. This is a very inexpensive craft that promotes the development of motor skills. Find St. Patty’s Day coloring pages here.
- Cloud-and-Rainbow craft – Ready to make a super cute cloud-and-rainbow craft that your kids will adore? If so, you will need paper plates, cotton balls, glue, scissors, and several different colors of tissue paper. Once you have your materials, follow these instructions to put together the craft:
1. Cut a paper plate in half.
2. Lay the halved paper plate on its backside and cover in glue. Then stick on cotton balls. Be sure to place them close together so that there are no areas of the plate exposed.
3. Take your tissue paper and cut it into long, 1” strips. Then, “Glue (the strips) to the bottom of the paper plate cloud in the order of the rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple).
- 3-D Shamrock Craft – For this festive craft, you’ll need paper, scissors, crayons, string, and access to a printer. Once you have your supplies, follow these instructions. Before you know it you’ll have a beautiful shamrock ornament to display in your child’s room!
Do you love to make crafts with your kids on holidays? If so, leave a comment in the space below and tell us about it. Have a magical and artistic St. Patrick’s Day!
Adults can celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in an artsy way by downloading our digital paint-by-number pattern featuring leprechauns! Digital color-by-numbers is an interactive creative experience that’s almost impossible to duplicate. With dozens of pattern categories to choose from and thousands of patterns to paint, Segmation makes it possible – and easy – to work with images that are simple or complex, whether they originated from photos, paintings, or illustrations. We know you’ll love it!
Read more Segmation blog posts about St. Patty’s Day: