How to Become a Professional Artist
April 18, 2017 Jessica 0 Comments
Has it always been a dream of yours to become a professional artist? If so, you are in good company. Thousands of people all around the world, from all walks of life, have this exact same desire. Thankfully, if you have a dream to become a professional artist, it’s possible for that dream to come true. However, there are a few steps you’ll need to take to realize that dream.
Do You Have What It Takes to Become a Professional Artist?
The first step to living out your dream of being an artist is asking yourself if you have what it takes to become a professional artist. People who have this capacity possess several key characteristics, including:
- Talent – First and foremost, an artist must possess talent. The good news is, when it comes to art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is no hard and fast way to measure talent. So how will you know if you are talented? People will tell you! They will place value on your art. Many times, people will ask to purchase your art. If you question your talent, it may be a good idea to seek the opinion of professional artists in your specific field, be it music, painting, illustrating, or something different.
- Patience – It’s possible that the primary quality someone who wants to become a professional artist must possess is patience. Artists must accept the fact that it may take years before they are recognized. Also, they should understand that a high level of fame may never come. Ultimately, an artist should create art for the sheer joy of the process, and because of a deep love for art. Wanting to earn income from art is fine. Artists have to eat, just like everyone else! But if someone isn’t patient, he or she may not have what it takes to withstand the long haul of becoming a professional artist.
- Self-management skills – A professional artist is not only talented and patient, he or she also possesses self-management skills. These skills cause the artist to create art on dry days and to keep pursuing art even when success seems to be evasive. People who know how to manage themselves are committed to creating art and honing their craft, even if only for a few minutes a day.
How to Become a Professional Artist in 4 Simple Steps
Are you patient, talented, and self-managed? If so, you may just have what it takes to become a professional artist. If you feel you have this capability, there are a few steps you’ll want to consider taking. They include:
1. Getting trained in your craft by seeking out higher education or a private teacher.
2. Putting together a portfolio.
3. Getting some experience.
4. Joining a trade association. (The article How to Become a Professional Artist in 5 Steps says, “By joining a trade association, you gain access to benefits, such as professional networking opportunities and industry updates. You can join a national association, such as the National Association of Independent Artists, and/or one of many regional trade associations.”
Do you want to become a professional artist? If so, what steps will you take to ensure this becomes your reality?
Artistic people looking to kill some time productively should check out SegPlay PC. SegPlay PC is a digital paint-by-number game that combines old-fashioned fun with new technology. Thousands of people love SegPlay PC – we know you will, too!
Read more Segmation blog posts about becoming a serious artist:
Be an Artist in 2 minutes with Segmation SegPlay® PC (see more details here)